Frequently Asked Questions

How long is my contract for?

All Occupation Contract will run month to month (periodically) and people can stay for as long they want, as long as the terms and conditions are adhered to and rent is paid on time etc. We want people to stay for the long-term and create a community that last.

Who supplies the electricity and gas?

The properties will be registered with Scottish Power at handover and meter readings will be sent through to them. New contract holders should contact Scottish Power to let them know they have moved in and sign up for the best tariff, otherwise they are likely to put you on their standard tariff, which could be more expensive.

Can I change from Scottish Power?

Yes, contract holders are free to have gas and electric with whichever supplier they choose. A good way to compare prices and get the best deals can be found online at

How much is the council tax?

The properties will not be valued by Cardiff Council until they are completed. Cadwyn will let the council know you have moved in and they will arrange a council valuation and contact you once complete to arrange payments. Cardiff Council will normally give an interim charge until the properties have been valued.

Do the properties have carpets?

All properties will have carpets throughout. With vinyl in the hallway, kitchen and bathroom areas.

How do we get internet?

The properties are supplied with Open Reach Line. You are free to choose whichever supplier you want .

Is there a TV Aerial & Satellite Dish?

This is different depending on whether you are in a flat or a house.


The flats have a communal TV aerial and satellite dish which is wired into the flats. You are not allowed to have your own TV aerial or dish in a flat.


The houses do not have their own aerials or dishes installed. This is the contract holders  responsibility. The builders have installed cabling to the rooms in the houses and the wires terminate in the loft where an aerial can be connected up. Satellite dishes and aerials are not to be installed on the front of the properties, only the rear.

Are wheelie bins provided?

If you live in a house, you will arrange the ordering of your bins to be delivered at the start of your contract. There is a charge from Cardiff Council for your bins. If you live in a flat, there will be a communal bin area for disposal of refuge and recycling.

Are these properties signed up to Cardiff Councils free waste reminders?

No, but contract holders can call Connect to Cardiff to get their property registered for the alerts.

Do I have a dedicated car space?

No, whilst the whole scheme at The Mill has been designed with enough parking spaces, the spaces are not allocated to each house or flat.

Is there residential parking? If so, how do I get a permit?

At present there is no residential parking scheme, so permits are not required.

When does the build complete?

The whole scheme at The Mill will take around 5 years to build. It is hoped that completion will be in 2025.

Will the building works be disruptive?

As Lovell build and handover each area, they will move on to other units, so noise disruption should be minimal. However, there will be construction traffic and building on site for five years, so residents should expect to see and hear some construction traffic and work.

Is there a dishwasher?

No, units are not provided with a dishwasher, although residents can arrange their own if required.

Is there communal space for the flats?

Some flats are in blocks with communal areas, and some have their own entrances. There are no communal gardens as such, although some flats do have a small useable space for residents outside.

How do I apply for the affordable/social housing phase? And when will it be available?

The Mill is a mixed tenure scheme and all residents needs to be working and able to afford to pay the rent. As the scheme develops there will be some more affordable units. Those interested in these need to register their interest by visiting and ensure that are on the Common Housing Register with Cardiff Council.

Are we allowed to decorate / put things up on the walls?

Yes, contract holders can use the properties as their own. However, if the decoration is sub-standard and has to be re-done at the end of a tenancy, tenants could be re-charged for the costs of redecoration.

As these are new build properties they need to dry out properly in the first year so instructions will be given to tenants on handover about the best materials to use for paint etc in the first 12 months.


Is there a water meter?

Yes, all properties are on a water meter and are served by Welsh Water.

Is there a shed?

Each house has its own shed in the garden.

Do I have to pay a bond?

Yes, as the properties have floor coverings and some white goods a bond is required, which will be protected in a tenancy deposit scheme.

Are white goods provided?

Cookers and hobs are supplied to the all properties

Do I have to pay any fees?

You will be asked to pay a holding deposit in order to secure your property at the Mill which is equivalent to one week’s rent. In line with the Renting Homes (Fees Etc.) (Wales) Act 2019 this is not a fee, and will be offset against your rent when you move-in.